*gotta love the oxymorons

Sunday, June 08, 2008

One fucking experience.

Today was the closest I've come to local behavior since I've been back. I guess it could have been worse.

Have I mentioned why it happened? Shit. Oh wait. Its because I swore.

Vulgarity is a taboo people avoid talking about unless it confronts them and Im not holding back because this one ruined my perspectives on many things.

Today I was at the mall then a little girl was walking by and kicked me so hard I reacted.

"Fuck!" It came so naturally at that point.

Once I realised it was a little girl, I turned away and walked on.
Next thing I knew, her dad came up to me and confronted me.

'Who did u say fuck to?"
I was like "um..."

He repeated it, sarcasm hanging off every single word.
"I asked who you said fuck to"

In between frustration and confusion, I realised he was building up a conversation which might end up with huge quarrel. Well then, I wasnt about to challenge him. Not amongst a bra sale, and least of all, not in a place branded "Triumph"! The irony, at least one of us noticed it.

"Im sorry if I've offended you in any way
I was reacting to my pain
It was an expression"

"She's a little girl and you're a grown up"
"Thats my daughter"

So many comebacks came to mind. Some involved the irony, some involved upbringing. But I kept my mouth shut. Must've been the "triumph" sign all over the place.

I wanted to end off on peaceful terms. So I went ahead with a second apology.

"Again, Im sorry if Ive offended you in any way".

He nods approvingly and struts off.

I want to make this clear that I was apologetic to myself, to the situation and to the insensitivity involved. Those who know me know I dont swear. Well, not in public at least. And the one time I actually did, I got gunned down for it.

To be fair, I see his father pride, although it wasnt even said to her face. Okay, I recognise the word is in many ways very rude. That said, it was something I said to myself. Maybe its because I have been brought up with parents who would not react as such.

From a different perspective, I understand this is culture shock. And much as I am so familiar with the word and the usage of it elsewhere around the world, it is not as socially acceptable here.

Only been back about 6 months and I feel so welcomed and ready to leave for LA.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

Oiyor, my poor chary.
It's not that you feel unwelcome, it's just that your darling is in LA. Trust me, i know what you mean.
So i ended up on a company trip and missed the Warhol exhibit. :(
Can you think up more excuses for me to make a trip down under? (past the causeway and over to Sing'ers i mean)
Personally, swearing is so much more fun when it's waffly and like British dandys of yore. Fiddlesticks! and For the love of peas and Ham! may have been popular back in the day...
Silly old singaporean anal retentive... erm... i mean, he who has a serious case of haemorrhoids.. =P
Missing you... *HuGz*

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger julie said...

OMG char. u know sometimes i dont get why parents think their kids are little angels. im sure that pompous prude didnt bother to apologize that 'his little girl' caused physical pain to u.

i say, say fuck when u have to..

love ya!
julz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home